Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I am SO grateful for . . .









I know Thanksgiving for Americans is coming up.  Chronic Babe Jenni put out a challenge - tell everyone all that you are grateful for since becoming a Chronic Babe.


Where do I begin?  First person that talked to me and told me I wasn't "crazy" with my symptoms and what doctor to go to.  She's struggled with fibromyalgia for a lot of years and helped me a lot on my journey.  My rheumatologist, who didn't think I was crazy and diagnosed me about 6 years ago.  Also my chiropractor has helped a lot.  I know I should go back but I haven't in a long time.  My doctor is wonderful.  I've heard a lot of horror stories from people who have gone to doctors that think they are "depressed, menopausal or nothing is wrong with you".


My husband has been great and we are both still struggling with my chronic illness and his.  We've been through a lot in 26 years but we've always come through, and we still on this journey called life.  I'm also grateful for my daughter and our 3 grandchildren - when I hear about them and see pictures of them it makes me smile.  


A few MSN groups I got into and the people I chatted with - I wasn't alone.  I am still an online friend to quite a few of these women and I'm grateful for all the talks we've had when either they or I was feeling bad.  I'm grateful for Jenni also or I wouldn't be writing this right now - she's kept me blogging. 


I'm grateful for - the Internet, TV, DVDs.  When I'm feeling bad and can't do much it's always good to just watch some TV, watch a movie (yes even Disney movies), or watch something cute or funny on YouTube.


I'm grateful to have health insurance and being able to try alternative treatment.


I'm grateful for my pets, they make me laugh and they comfort me with a head on my knee or the cats "talking" and purring at me.


Here's something I found http://www.answers.com/topic/gratitude


A large body of recent work has suggested that people who are more grateful have higher levels of well-being. Grateful people are happier, less depressed, less stressed, and more satisfied with their lives and social relationships Grateful people also have higher levels of control of their environments, personal growth, purpose in life, and self acceptance Grateful people have more positive ways of coping with the difficulties they experience in life, being more likely to seek support from other people, reinterpreted and grow from the experience, and spend more time planning how to deal with the problem,  Grateful people also have less negative coping strategies, being less likely to try to avoid the problem, deny there is a problem, blame themselves, or cope through substance use,  Grateful people sleep better, and this seems to be because they think less negative and more positive thoughts just before going to sleep.




So tonight before going to sleep think happy positive thoughts and at least one thing you are grateful for.

No comments: