Thursday, October 28, 2010

A cool writing prompt I couldn't resist!



Mama's Losin' It!

She had some writing prompts and I chose this one:

1.) A book (or TV show … or something) that you watched/loved as a kid, that you see through entirely different eyes as an adult/mom

It started June 27, 1966, but I didn't start watching it until maybe 6 months or a year later. I got out of school, ran home (usually to my grandma's across the street) to watch it. I was 9-10 years old and had never really saw a werewolf, a vampire in movies or on TV.  I had a huge crush on the werewolf Chris Jennings - Don Briscoe




and later on even a crush on the poor tortured soul Barnabas Collins - the vampire LOL.



Looking at IMDB I see that Harvey Keitel was on the show for two shows!  Also I remember when Kate Jackson was the ghost, never speaking.

I remember one time when my grand mom decided to take us to the movies, it was probably during the summer.  We rode the trolley to the movie - Doris Day "With Six You Get Egg Roll".  I wasn't too interested but thought it was nice Grand mom took us to a movie.  All of a sudden I was like "what TIME is it - Dark Shadows will be on at 3:30!"  My grandma (cursing all the way just about) took us home so I could watch that show!

Researching on this show it's so funny all the stuff I've found!  I wanted to know when the SciFi Channel (SyFy now) showed Dark Shadows because that's where I ran across it one day flipping the channels!  Here's what I got from 


Will the series ever be repeated on the Sci-Fi Channel? 

Dark Shadows aired on the US Sci-Fi Channel for most of the 1990s, eventually ceasing broadcast at the end of 2003. Sci-Fi chose not to renew their contact for the show and have stated they have no interest in future repeats of Dark Shadows. Negotiations are underway to find a new US broadcaster and we will report any developments.

I had to laugh re watching on the SciFi channel because all the "scary" stuff I remember at 10 or so wasn't so scary now.  The sets were kind of cheesy and falling apart, and sometimes the actors would stumble over their lines.  I still enjoyed watching it, but not with the obsession I had as a 10 year old.

True Blood - now that's another story! I've read all 10 books and watch it when it's on.  There's DVR now which is great, so I don't have to miss an episode.  I don't have any "crushes" but some of the men are nice to look at ;)

Speaking of nice to look at - I hear Johnny Depp is doing a re-make of Dark Shadows - he will be Barnabas Collins!

5 comments:

Em said...

How funny that the crazes have come round again! My whole office is obessed with Twilight, Vampire Diaries, True Blood etc. We have very large posters of RPatz on the walls! (we are grown-ups, honest!).

Found you via Mama Kat's.
Em. x

Valerie said...

Oh, Barnabas...! I thought he was all that and more when I was a kid! I thought Dark Shadows was the best show ever:)

Ms. Wanda said...

Hi there:) OMG the opening of Dark Shadows brings back soooo many memories. I loved that show and there was know other show like it:)

I think Johnny Depp would be excellent as Barnabas Collins:)

Stacey said...

I've never seen that one! But there are plenty of things that scared the snot out of me as a kid that I can totally laugh at now! Stopping by from Mama Kat's!

Mo said...

OMG...Dark Shadows! I would also race home to watch it, and after it was an "American Bandstand" at the beach kind of show named "Where the Action Is". Remember Paul Revere and the Raiders? Then next came All My Children, with a very young Erica Kane. Johnny Depp can bite my neck anytime. I hope the movie will thrill us as much as the show did!