Saturday, July 24, 2010

Down the rabbit hole and back out again - now where's that shovel?

When I get really down and depressed I always say I'm in a hole, and I'll eventually dig my way out.  I usually do or I wouldn't be here. I'd be in a hospital somewhere medicated to high heaven I'm sure if I didn't have the love and support of numerous friends and family.

Of course the hole I'm picturing  is Alice in Wonderland and there's no wacky Mad Hatter to greet me.  I know eventually I'll get out but it's scary all the same.

I'm fortunate I have people that help pull me out of that hole whether they know it or not.  I have my husband, Rich, who does a lot for me and brings me Junior Mints and flowers.  He makes me laugh a lot, and I know I'm loved.  We've been through a lot together.  He also supports different treatments I've tried.  He's one of my biggest cheerleaders.

I have my mom who I can still talk to about things, and she still calls me her "baby" at 52.  She makes me laugh a lot and by her example shows me the strength to go on.  She's had bouts of depression yet she's still working at a check cashing establishment where she stands most of the day - at 71.

I have my online friend Bev.  Thank God for voice chat - since she's in Florida.  Both her and her husband are disabled yet we talk for at least 2 hours about everything - and she got my mind off of being chronically ill and made me feel like a crafty, creative person.  Even in bad times we always seem to laugh at least once in our conversations.

I have my daughter and grandchildren.  They make me think that I need to go on and guide them, love them, and for the grandkids - spoil them LOL.  I remember growing up with my grandparents and I can't think of growing up any other way - they taught me a lot also.

I have my online support group Chronic Babes and the ladies whose blogs I follow from that group.  Thanks for making me think, hope, be proactive, and have some really neat online friends!

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Depression is never easy to live with, but I'm so glad to hear you have support! My dad dealt with depression most of my childhood, but it has gotten a lot better in recent years because he's figured out some nutrition things that help. Keep up the faith. I bet you'll find something to really help you.

Amanda said...

It's all about the friends and support, isn't it? We should let those in our lives know how really, truly special they are to us.

Dana Marton said...

I love to follow your blog, Gerri! I'm so glad for my online support system. Sometimes I think it might be the strongest one, even tho I've never met anyone in person!LOL! Take care of yourself, and continue to reach out to others!
Blessings,
Dana

Diane J Standiford said...

When I started blogging, I didn't think about making friends--now I have blogger friends who have even flown across country and visited me! When I need advice, they are there.

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog