Thursday, June 10, 2010

. . . it just keeps getting weirder and weirder

I get a call from my mom last night. Her friend's brother is a retired police officer (as was my father) and he told her that Jerry Lang had died. My mom knew I was pretty good at finding out things on the Internet, so I started to look. I've never paid money at those search for someone sites and didn't think I would this time. I did sign up with www.ancestry.com though since I was going to try my hand at doing a family tree.


When my mom called I was a bit shook up even though I kept telling myself it doesn't matter if he was dead or not. I haven't seen my father in 20 something years. Even when I did see him I had friendlier conversations with my mail carrier. It was weird looking at addresses he lived at and the only one I recognized was my grandmothers house. I remember him living there, painting in my grandmothers basement. He was a talented artist that's about the only good thing I can say about him. There were also records where it showed he was born 2 years later than he actually was - another thing for me not to like about him. OK I am pretty much done. I did see he died October 21, 2009 and no one bothered to call my sister or mother. My mom is in the phone book, has been since she's had a phone. It seems like some things in my life that should be normal (like getting word your father has died) are messed up. It kind of makes me laugh in a way but it's sad too.


Like I told an online friend of mine - you can't pick your family. You can think about all the GOOD things in your life and that's just what I'm going to do.


Here are some free people search sites for my links today:

http://www.zabasearch.com/

http://www.pipl.com/

http://www.findagrave.com/

This last one gave me the creeps a little.

I PROMISE you the next post will be a little more lighthearted!

1 comment:

Paper Niche said...

hi Gerri-
You have won our blog candy giveaway for being a follower on our blog- please email me your address so that i may send you out some fabulous things

The Paper Niche Gals
customerservice@paperniche.com