Saturday, October 25, 2008

Every day is a lesson

I was really scared when my husband said "I am bringing Mom here to live". If you saw our place space wise it's sometimes too small for the two of us. Another thing - I hadn't seen my mother-in-law Irene for 14 years. We lived with her for a while when money was tight and it was a disaster. I finally had to tell Rich we needed to leave and we lived in a campground for a couple of months. It was summer so we told Amy it was an "adventure".

When I saw my mother-in-law for the first time when she walked through the door my fears went away. She walks with a walker and she's pretty much bedridden. She sits in the lazy boy with her feet up - she has really bad gout. She was hospitalized while up here and had a heart attack. We are getting along, and I worry when she's not feeling good. It's a full time job so I'm suspending school right now. I can't concentrate at all and Irene likes the TV on all the time. I do get a break when Rich is home, but I'm so tired half the time I don't know where to go to LOL.

I am learning a lot taking care of her - all the paperwork, etc. I know that we need to get our things in order just in case. I'm not anticipating that and sometimes I try to avoid it all together. It's hard though when it's staring you in the face. I'm so glad so far my mom is doing ok but I guess this is preparing me for when she's older and something might happen like her health declining.

OK here are some blogs I think are interesting and fun:

http://www.yumsugar.com/2416460

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

http://www.factcheck.org/

1 comment:

Dayna Collins said...

I know you wrote this last October, but thank you for sharing a bit of your life. It must be so difficult being a full-time caretaker and I bow down in awe of what you are doing for your mother-in-law.